Friday, November 12, 2010

Souvenirs

It was a surprise today
rows of vendors
hawking their wares in the halls of the Presbyterian Center in Louisville.
fancy handbags
jewelry of all kinds
Mary Kay cosmetics
books @35% off
It was tempting all right.
I went for the books.

so now this evening
I am remembering the money changers in the Temple.
Was this a similar situation?
Why is shopping so much fun?
and one of my significant vices of late?
Would Jesus drive us all out with a whip?

I think of those who have so little
who are paralyzed about their future
and facing closed doors
those who can never do any shopping
unless it is for absolute essentials.

Maybe something in one of those books will help me help them.
Maybe not.
Maybe buying a little Mary Kay will help that woman pay a bill
and survive for a little while longer.
Maybe not.
She didn't have many takers.
I don't know why some people have so much
and others so little.

But I am grateful for a new Bible
even as I ponder deeper issues.

No comments: