Saturday, August 16, 2008

memoir - The Spoon

It was just a simple spoon, an ordinary, unadorned tablespoon, nothing special, but it became a flashpoint that day. The question posed to me by my stepfather was simply this or something like it: Which direction should the bowl face for water poured onto it to go downward or something like that. I thought it should face downward, but then I changed my mind. I said it should be open, faced upward. It was the wrong answer.

He had a scowl on his face - said something cruel about my scientific aptitude as I recall. I felt him thinking I was stupid, hopeless, and I was ashamed. I think now that I was answering a different question that day - How shall we face life - open and trusting or turned away? He couldn't see it, but I do, and I am going to stay open and receive beautiful, refreshing, life giving water.

No comments: