Saturday, August 16, 2008

Obsession - Dangerous Writing

The prompt was this: Think of something you used as a drug that was not pharmaceutical. Tell as much as you can without bursting into flame.

The chicken was plump and fresh. Its flesh separated from the bones easily enough. One slice down its back was all that was needed to separate the skin. With a surgeon's skill I dislodged the entire skeleton from its raw hide. Then I stuffed it with seasoned rice and vegetables - sewed the whole thing together as though not a single bone had been removed. It came from the oven all crisp and buttery, a delight to behold. I was triumphant!

My house meanwhile rested in squalor, neglected, as usual in behalf of another fabulous culinary treat. We lived in disarray in those days while I dreamed of glorious food and spent all my time bringing the creations to life.

No comments: