Friday, December 28, 2012

Pondering with Mary, the Mother of Jesus

Gene Brodt charmed us all with his memorable quotes and storytelling.
One day he fell.
It was the beginning of the end for him.
He eventually landed in a nursing home,
and I brought him communion every month.

One day he conversed at length with the elderly woman I had brought with me,
ignoring me in the process.
He apologized.
"Please forgive me," he said.
"I'm an old man.
Everything has been taken away now, even my health.
All I have left are the memories, and they comfort me.
When someone shows up who shares the same memories, it is pure bliss."

Remembering him, I think of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
Mary cherished her memories, treasured them, pondered them in her heart.
Surely they gave her strength in the dark days,
recalling how God showed up and blessed her child through the shepherds.
Maybe she thought, "If God was with us then, then God must be with us now."
The memories brought hope and faith
that something fresh and wonderful would eventually unfold.

So how did God show up for me this season?
I slowed down, way down.
I didn't feel responsible for seeing Christmas brought to an entire community.
I enjoyed it, savored it.
At times I thought my heart would burst with joy.

And now like Mary, I have the memories although they are very different from hers:
Sister Mary grounding me in Scripture and faith
Evanston with my daughter and all three of my grandchildren
Magical shopping trips and gingerbread.
Fabulous music there!
Sam Ramey's "O Holy Night" still rings in my ears.
cards and greetings from friends and Facebook
How I love Facebook!
The candlelight service at Heritage with trumpet and cello.
Special time with Forrest, Cindy, Trevor, Kim and Emilie.
beautiful, wonderful gifts chosen and made with such loving care
and feeling so very loved.
leisure
a new excitement over art
enjoying my pretty home with no more leaks.

Like Mary, I feel blessed among women,
although unlike her, it's been a pretty self indulgent season.
At some point God will move me forward into fresh ministry.
I feel it.
But for now, I sit with Mary, the mother of Jesus
and ponder all these things within my heart
And later they will strengthen me for whatever comes ahead.

No comments: