Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Memories

I awakened this morning with gratitude
full and blessed
to be a part of this wonderful world
in love with Christ
and all the people in it.

I always worry a little on Good Friday.
That day is dark
lifeless.
Depression stalks me.
The grief becomes overwhelming
every
single
year.
I birth an Easter sermon
in the midst of the gloom.

It is hard to write about Easter joy
when I am still in the tomb with Jesus.
I fret.
I judge myself harshly.
I worry.
And then along comes Easter morning.

When we drove into the parking lot
surprise lilies lined the pathway to church.
One bloomed in an old tree stump
and a white cross proclaimed
"He Is Risen!"
for all the world to see.

Inside came all the flowers
along with the great Easter hymns
as we filled the cross and the pews.
People who normally can't or don't come
made an effort to be here.
Extended families sat together.
There were lots of babies.

We sang.
I preached.
Tyler sang with the big voice.
God was glorified
and my spirit came alive again.

And now today
this first new day after Easter
I am grateful
profoundly grateful
and the world seems alive with possibility
as I tackle my cluttered house.

What a differnce a day makes!
May Easter hope arise within us all
and may our lives trumpet fresh new life.

No comments: