Sunday, April 10, 2011

My retreat word - gratitude

Never enough is often my mantra
not enough intelligence
or beauty
creativity
or of what it takes to be a leader.
never enough.
Whatever it is,
it is never enough
when it applies to myself anyway.

So here comes this reminder
neatly typed on a little yellow card.
What if I exchanged the phrase "not enough"
for grateful?
grateful I am as smart as I am
grateful I have a sort of beauty
grateful for my creativity
grateful that I am a leader and that others see that in me.
I am enough for whatever comes my way
and for that I am grateful.

Somehow,
writing that,
I feel better about myself -
grateful to be who I am,
where I am at this period of my life.

Gratitude opens up possibility.
Not enough shuts it all down.
I choose to move to the open space.
That you, God, for the insight.
Gratitude is akin to wonder.

No comments: