Sunday, April 10, 2011

The New Labyrinth

I sat on the bench with my sunflower mug
drinking coffee at the dawn of the day.
Friom a distance Sydney spotted me -
Sydney, the Australian sheep dog that lives at our farm.
She came bounding through the grass and trees to greet me.

Dogs have always been a God symbol for me
reminding me of God's unconditional love.
When people fail me,
dogs never do.

So here comes Sydney
like the father in the prodigal son story in the Bible
prancing
dancing
smiling in her way
running and
THRILLED to see me in the early part of this Saturday morning.

We walk the labyrinth together
this God symbol and me.
She's right beside me.
I am never far from her.
Sometimes she lies on the path and forces me to deal with her
then she's off and running
sometimes ahead
sometimes beside
sometimes wallowing on her back in delight
that I have included her in what feels like play.

What a lovely reminder of God's presence this morning
the God who runs to greet me
and delights to walk beside me.

Sydney is off to other things now
inviting me to join her in joy somewhere else.

I linger
savoring the delight we shared
and looking forward to this brand new day.

Don't take yourself so seriously, God whispers.
Lighten up.
Prance a little.
Come play with me.

No comments: