Monday, January 21, 2013

The Cow in the Tutu on MLK Day.

My morning Scripture reading was Luke 9:12-17, the story where Jesus was confronted with 5000 hungry people and told his disciples to feed them. This is my response ss I entered the story:

"You give them something to eat."
Me?
Are you talking to me?
If you are, you're talkin' crazy talk.
I can't.
I don't have the resources.
I think it's impossible.
You're a crazyman, Jesus.
crazy.
certifiable.
crazy!

I might as well put on a tutu and dance for the crowd.
Your request is that preposterous.
Don't you know what you're asking?
Do you not understand?
5 tiny loaves will barely feed my family
much less 5000.

"I'm not crazy.
Put on that tutu and dance.
Give them something to eat."

There's a line in the sand now.
I see it prety clear.
I hear Martin Luther King in my head.
"You don't have to see the future to take the first step."
or something like that.

Do I believe God will honor that first step?
Can I find the courage within my scaredy cat self
to make some little movement beyond selfishness today?

That's really the issue.
I don't have to change the world.
I just have to take the first step.
I put on my tutu and dance.

No comments: