Thursday, September 4, 2008

Forrest

The door swung open
and I saw him standing there.
Kind
Pleasant
Dimples in his cheeks
and I thought,
"Oh no, I could never marry him!
with his ears
and my big nose
we would have ugly children!"
What a strange reaction for a first date
a blind date at that.
We rode in the back seat of his friend's car.
His friend and my friend were in the front.
He told me jokes,
made me laugh.
I felt so comfortable with him,
not nervous at all
unusual for a first date.
It was as though we had always known each other
cut from the same cloth
attached somewhere deep within.
I was safe around him.
no fear
no angst
no worries about what to say next

I loved the way I felt with him.
O.K. to be who I was
whoever that was back then.
I somehow knew we would end up together.

Today is his birthday.
He's 67 years old.
A lifetime has happened between us since then.
We've birthed children
traveled the world
had multiple careers
and a farm
health issues
money issues
identity issues.
I'd do it again
in a New York minute.

God bless him!
Big!

No comments: