Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ike

I like Ike.
It was a campaign button my parents wore
as they left me in the back seat
and went off to cast their ballot
for President of the United States.
It was the first election I remember.
I haven't heard the name Ike since then
except for some crazy televangelist.

I wonder if I will like this Ike who's coming for a visit tomorrow.
He's howling in the gulf - like Halloween
trying to scare the peewaddle out of us.
It's eerie waiting for him.
Reminds me a little of Wednesdays
before "the boys" descend upon my church.

Houston feels anxious today -
traffic at unusual times
long lines at Walgreen's where people
are buying junk food, water and batteries.
A little chocolate surely will help face down a hurricane.

I'm waiting this one out alone
a first for me.
Forrest is stranded in Reno
can't get a plane out because of Ike

I wonder if I will like Ike when I meet him.
Will he charm me or seek to destroy me and my house?
Will he leave a nasty trail behind him?
Mostly I worry whether the roof will hold up.
and whether we shall lose electrical power.

I don't worry about myself.
I worry about the old people who are fragile
and on oxygen,
the ones who are sick,
and the ones who are so afraid.

I remember a story from long ago,
how Jesus spoke to a storm and it stilled.
I speak peace to Ike.
Be still
compassionate
gentle with us.

Maybe we too will wear a button with your name on it
when this is all over.

No comments: